Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 13:39:23 -0700, "W" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> W wrote:
>> >I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:
>> >http://thehealthyfoodie.com/homemade-ghee/
>> >
>> >I don't understand how ghee could end up black and looking and smelling
>> >burned. Does anyone have a theory about what went wrong here, and is

>there
>> >anything that can be done at this point?

>> When preparing ghee at too high a heat the milk solids will burn.
>> At that point either enjoy the burnt taste or toss it out for the
>> critters and start over. Ghee is pricy because to do it right takes
>> time, you can't rush it.

>Do you have any advice on preparation, either temperatures, timing, or
>visual clues?

I haven't made ghee in many years but google is your friend.
However common sense would dictate to use the lowest heat your
stovetop is capable of. Unless you were after a particularly flavored
ghee I'd say to buy ready made.