Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default No tipping policies

On 2016-08-14 5:22 PM, graham wrote:
> No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight €“ and disaster
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland
>

> http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy
>
> Note the following point in the article:
> "According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
> and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
> most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
> obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
> menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

It works in lots of places in Europe. You get good professional service
without waiters fawning all over you trying to ingratiate you into a
larger tip. What you see on the bill is a price higher than you would
see here, but that is what you pay. You don't see a bunch of taxes added
to the bill and aren't expected to leave 15% or more on top.
I find it curious that the guy in the article said he would have to
raise his prices by 40% to get the money he needs to pay the higher
wages when tipping less than half of that was supposed to have been
working.