Posted to rec.food.cooking
W W is offline

Default Problems Making Purified Butter / Indian Ghee

wrote:

> >I make my own Indian Ghee from grassfed butter, using these instructions:

> >thinks maybe the butter I am using (Strauss Family Creamery) has some
> >characteristic that makes it difficult to use for ghee:
> >http://strausfamilycreamery.com/products/organic-butter

> But the Strauss Family Creamery cows are not 100% grass fed. From the

site:

> "Their balanced, vegetarian diet consists mostly of fresh pasture grasses,
> silage and hay, as well as feeds that are 100% certified organic and
> Verified Non-GMO."

Several points on that.

1) This was the one and only time I used that butter, as an experiment. I
normally use Irish Kerry brand, which "claims" to be grassfed.

2) It turns out that no one raising dairy cows ever feeds them only grass.
Meat cattle are raised on 100% grass all the time. Dairy cattle need more
energy in order to produce milk every day, so - very unfortunately - they
all get grain.

This is the same problem you find with eggs. All of those eggs claiming to
be "pasture raised" are in fact getting more than 50% of their daily energy
from grains. They need high caloric diets to produce eggs every day.