Nomen Nescio

> One of those amazing surprises: We bumped into a chopstick
> store in the neightborhood of Kobe named Motomachi where
> we probably spent 45 minues. Hundreds of pairs of chopsticks
> on the wall, each beautiful, different, curious, fascinating.

What are the different names for different kinds of chopsticks?
I know "hashi" or "ohashi" but I don't know which kind that term
refers to or if it's generic for any (all) chopsticks.

Cheap, infinished break apart disposable wooden chopsticks,
kind of squarish
Inexpensive wooden, usually unfinished, reusable: square handles,
round, non-tapered ends
Inexpensive plastic (like fake ivory): square handles, round
non-tapered ends
Fancy plastic with tapered, almost pointy ends
Fancy wooden lacquered with tapered, almost pointy ends
Serrated, non-serrated
Etc.

("Western" tableware has forks, salad forks, shrimp forks, serving
forks, olive forks, ramekin forks, potato forks, cocktail forks, ...)

Would you ask for "ohashi" in a fancy restaurant or is that strictly the
cheap kind w/ take out?

Would it be polite to ask for "serrated chopsticks" (by whatever the
correct term is) in a restaurant? If enough people ask, maybe they'll
get some.

> Or why not use a shovel.

A shovel would make quick work of the meal but for AYCE or
sushi eating contests (cf., pie eating contests) I think service in a
trough would be faster and more efficient. There might be some
disagreement whether nigiri sushi served in a trough is still sushi
if it quickly becomes chirashi, but I'll leave that to the experts.

Some Japanese guy keeps winning the Nathan's July 4 Hot Dog
Eating Contest at Coney Island (New York City). Is there a sushi
eating contest in Japan that accepts gaijin competitors? With
chopsticks or w/o?

--
Sent by xanadoog from yahoo piece from com