Old 10-08-2016, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Check it before you bring it home!

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:16:36 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a
half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly
surplus or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken
junk.

They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes
that would be a good idea.

For something like that, sure. Maybe not a washing machine.

I will take your word for it, never bought anything electric from a second
hand store.

Cheri

I've bought used refrigerators from an appliance store that sells new
and refurbished, but it comes with a 90 day warranty on parts and
labor... I have a refurbished 16 cuft Whirlpool fridge in my basement
that cost me $100 delivered, it's from 1985, been running perfectly
for almost 13 years... it's bare bones but that's all I needed in my
basement for storing garden crops, etc. It's a top freezer, has all
wire shelves, no ice maker other than trays. It's from a local family
owned business (been in business since 1930). The owners told me many
people have an older fridge that needs service but they'd rather buy a
new fancy schmancy modern one than put a hundred bucks into the old
one. People are happy for him to take the old one when he delivers
the new one, then if he thinks it worth fixing he makes the repairs, a
few dollars in parts and mostly his labor when he has time. He told
me the older fridges are made to last much longer than todays, and the
older fridges are easy to repair, the new ones are essentially throw
away.