Old 10-08-2016, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default Check it before you bring it home!

In article , gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:18:43 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a
half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
would be a good idea.

Cheri

Gotta be nuts to pay more than $5 for a used microwave oven. Even if
it worked with used stuff it may only work now and again and soon die.
I wouldn't buy small appliances second hand. Microwave ovens are
rather inexpensive nowadays, I'd buy new, I'd want one with a
warranty... then if they last that first year they are good for at
least ten more years.

Because microwave ovens never stop working in their second, third,
fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, nineth, tenth or eleventh year.