Old 10-08-2016, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Check it before you bring it home!

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/9/2016 7:46 PM, Cheri wrote:

"notbob" wrote in message
My buddy, a pro carpenter among other things, got me a used GE Profile
over-stove mounted microwave/convection oven. Took us an hour and a
half
to remove old one and install the GE. Guess what. Didn't work!

He thought it did, as the panel lit up, turntable turned, etc.
But!.... damned if the magnatron wasn't shorting out to the revolving
turntable post. BIG BLUE arcs! And, it was almost brand new! Whatta
waste.

So, we gotta un-install it and take it back to the RE-Store (Habitat
fer Humanity 2nd hand store) fer a different one. Bottom line:
thoroughly check the unit before purchasing it!!!

nb

OK, I'm not all that up on electric things, how do you test it before
purchasing it second hand?

Cheri

Plug it in and try heating a cup of water. RE-store sells mostly surplus
or good used stuff but someone used it to get rid of broken junk.

They have the ability to do that at the second hand store? If so, yes that
would be a good idea.

Cheri