View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: White wines in NY and GA (Riesling, Fiano, Champers, Burg, Loire, US)

No wine Friday as we flew to ATL (after walking from the shuttle-deficient valet parking, I offered Betsy a glass in terminal, but she declined, and I decided not to pay markups to drink a glass alone). Saturday I decided to skip as well, supermarket wines didnt appeal and not there long enough to warrant trip to wine store. Next night was dinner with mom, bro, and SIL. BBQ shrimp and pimento cheese eggs to start, I had (dry, wilted) Caesar but with good fried oysters, Betsy had spicy shrimp tacos. Not much of list, but we tried

2013 Conundrum
Is this still Caymus or did they sell brand? First time Ive tried in many years. Soft, very aromatic (assume healthy doses of Viognier , Gewurztraminer, or Muscat), canned pear, musky. Not my cuppa. C+/B-

2013 Dr. Loosen Saint M Riesling
Drier than I expected, though also a bit softer. Apple, ginger, a little floral note. B-.

Up in the middle of the night for a 6 AM flight home, worked and then home to help Betsy make dinner for friends. I made assorted bruschetta (oil cured tomatoes, prosciutto, mozzarella, soppresatta, etc) plus smoked salmon canapes and a grilled mango (long story).

2002 Delamotte Blanc de Blancs Champagne
Pear and green apple, light biscuit notes, fresh, good length. B+/B

I grilled some squid and king trumpets, Betsy made them into a salad, plus we had rice with nori and omeboshi.

2010 Louis Carillon €śChamps Canet€ť Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru
This is a lovely bottle of Puligny. Crisp and graceful yet full-bodied, pear and chalk with a light kiss of vanilla/oak. Young but delicious. A bit primary, but do I want to risk aging these? A-

2012 Pepiere €śClisson€ť Muscadet
Rich and fresh, saline/oystershell notes over a rich pit fruit base., Good acids, long. A-/B+

Last night Betsy made €śgreen puttanesca€ť (green olives, garlic, anchovy, spinach, basil) over pasta and a beet salad. Wine was the 2013 Donnachiara Fiano di Avellino. Wine was good - broadframed, herby, nutty. I enjoyed but maybe was comparing it with whites night before. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.