Tigsnona

Default Brussel sprouts

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:05:50 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>dogsnus wrote:
>> I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
>> time and I really liked the way they turned out.
>>
>> Slice brussel sprouts in half and put them into a pie tin,
>> flat side up.
>> Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.
>> Put them in a 425F oven for 30-45 mins, depending upon
>> your oven, (mine is new to me and gas, so it cooks differently
>> from what I'm used to)
>> The end result should be a carmelized exterior, dark brown
>> but not black and the insides should be creamy.
>>
>> Tres good!
>>
>> Terri

>I love brussels sprouts. I bake mine similiarly but add some grated
>Parmesan cheese on the top and butter to the baking dish along with the
>splash of olive oil.
>
>If you are cooking whole brussels sprouts, Mom always says to cut an X in
>the bottom stem after paring. I don't know why, but this really works to
>make them taste less bitter. And there's always one *really* bitter sprout
>in the basket!
>
>Jill

You put a cross in the bottom stem to aid the cooking process. You
can do the same with large asparagus also. I seem to have always
done it with b.s. but never knew about the bitterness.

Have you tried them with real bacon bits over them? Very nice.

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.