Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I did it. I grew a potato

On 2016-07-25 12:06 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/25/2016 11:57 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:20:45 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> http://tinypic.com/r/2qxbwgy/9
>>>

>>> I'm sure there are more down there but this one was peeking
>>> out. I'll wait a bit until they're larger, not much larger,
>>> I hope. Then I'll dig around.

>> YUM!! Wash and cook IMMEDIATELY before anymore of the sugars
>> get converted to starch!!

> Heh. Maybe I should nuke it real quick.
>>
>> I had a big ole sweet potato my upstairs neighbor grew in our
>> front yard garden a few years back and it was DELISH!! Nuked
>> it and put butter and brown sugar on it! YUM!!

> Awesome. The only sweet potatoes I eat are the red ones with
> the white flesh. Could be fun to grow them.

They are easy enough to grow. When your old potatoes start sprouting
eyes just cut them into pieces, each with a few eyes. Cover them with
about 3" of soil. When the sprouts are about a foot high, use a hoe to
form a mound around the sprout. To harvest, stick a pitch fork into the
ground a couple feet away from the plant and pry up and repeat closer to
it so that you will loosen the soil and pop out the spuds without
spearing them. Wash the dirt off and let them dry before putting them
in storage.