SCUBApix

Default Brining ratio - for Turkeys

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...
> Most recipes that I have read say to use:
>
> 2. cups Kosher Salt or 1 cup of regular salt per 2 gallons of water.
>
> Alton Brown adds 1/2 cup of light Brown sugar and 1 cup Kosher salt to 1
> gallon of iced water and 1 gallon of vegetable stock.
>
> Martha Stewart says 2 gallons water 2 cups bourbon, 2 cups + 2 TBS. course
> salt and 1 cup of sugar.
>
> The questions a
>
> 1. What have you used?
>
> 2. What else did you add?
>
> 3. Would you do this again?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dimitri

I follow the Cook's Illustrated article from November/December issue. It was
the best discussion of brining that I've seen. There are a few other sources
online also. I have summarized the CI article at
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/recbrining.htm . Note 'Notes" #2 and #3. This
seems to be overlooked in all other discussion on brinning. Some say to
brine for 24 hours. Then they complain about the items being too salty. In
following the CI guidelines, we have never had a problem with saltiness but
could easily detect the improved moisture and even texture.

I sometimes go with a straight salt/sugar brine but sometimes change what I
use for sugar (instead of white sugar use brown sugar or a combination of
white/brown and/or molasses). I haven't tried it yet but honey sounds good
too. I also add some herbs/spices at times like bay leaf, crushed black
pepper and/or fresh rosemary, depending on what I'm brining. I haven't tried
anything as fancy as Hound's citrus brine.

With respect to other online sources of info on brinning, check out these:
http://cookshack.com/barbeque_guide/101/Brining101.htm
The BBQ FAQ, but I don't have an URL handy. See alt.food.barbecue.

Good luck.

scubapix