Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 1:18:21 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:41:13 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>

> >I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
> >third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
> >attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
> >1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
> >paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
> >recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
> >to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work
> >
> >Janet US

> 1 cup rice to 2 shy cups water... for one cup of rice I use 14 ounces
> liquid. When adding veggies (onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.) I add
> water to the veggies to make 14 ounces of liquid. Raw veggies are
> essentially all liquid.

Depends, For my brown rice in large batches I use ABOUT 2.5 cups H2O for 1 cup brown rice. Comes out great every time. Oh, and about 2TBS Butter and 2tsps salt in the water, boil, then throw in the rice and cook covered for about an hour.

John Kuthe...