Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Pavelot, Barruad, Boxler, Graillot, etc

No wine Monday with my Thai-ish vegetable curry. Tuesday grilled salmon, green garlic tabbouli, salad and roses:

The 2015 Sant'Antonio "Scaia" Rosato was a bit too sweet for me, with a rather clipped finish. It was cheap, but too blushy to drink, . C+

The 2015 Bedrock Ode to Lulu rose- drier, strawberry and watermelon, a little citrus zest. Pleasant enough but not a buy again. B/B-

Wednesday Betsy made duck breast and grapes over purslane. The 2012 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune (new label) was quite good- black cherry, spice, a little earth. Good acids, some tannin, could age a bit. B+

Thursday scallops with a wine/chive sauce, Swiss chard, and the 2014 Barraud €śAlliance€ť Pouilly-Fuisse VV, Drink more like a crisper Cote dOr than a Macon- full bodied, pear and floral, just a hint of hazelnut. Fine bargain. B+

No wine Friday with leftovers (duck, tofu, etc) because I had to meet a late night flight for my MIL

Saturday was sunny and gorgeous, perfect weather for Betsys nephews HS graduation by the Hudson. Then 10 family members convened at Central Seafood = stuffed tofu with conch, water spinach, eggplant with garlic sauce, jalapenos stuffed with shrimp, beef with ginger, pan fried chow fun, shrimp, and more. I had carried a couple of wines

1997 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon
Grads birthyear., Medium bodied, drinking well, black fruit, cedar, bell pepper. Popular around table. No need to wait. B+/B

2013 F. Carillon Puligny-Montrachet
Pear, touch of vanillin oak, midbodied, moderate acids. B

Sunday went to another graduates party, had a little sushi and chicken teriyaki, then rushed back to grill chicken which I served with lobster salad, Betsys vegetable torte, and caprese to her quartet before they headed to a concert.

There was a very forgettable Cupcake SB at the party, didnt get details.

2013 Windisch Riesling Kabinett Trocken (brown Rhine bottle, meant to check, pretty sure there was a vineyard designation but I forgot to circle back).. Never heard of producer, but this wasnt bad, midbodied with apple and ginger, dry without being austere. B/B-

1995 Graillot Crozes-Hermitage- I thought I had drunk these, worried too old. Turns out I didnt like, but not especially old or oxidized tasting. Moderate acids,plenty of fruit, but a real roasted character to the fruit, tasted like a hot vintage CdP with acid addition. I liked this many years ago. C+

2015 Vissoux/Chermette €śGriottes€ť Beaujolais rose
Very light bodied, mild cherry and strawberry fruit, easy. B

2008 Boxler Cremant dAlsace
My first sparkling Boxler. This was quite dry, most austere Alsace cremant Ive tried, like a brut nature wine. But once I got past austerity I like- ginger and allspice over white fruit, tart and crisp. B/B+