Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:27:59 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>

>It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
>starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
>to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
>because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
>one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
>landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
>needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
>furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
>location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
>of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
>on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
>problems with landlords or neighbors.
>
>MaryL

I've owned serevral rental properties but in all my years I don't
remember the economy being as terrible as it is now. Graduates are in
heavy debt and have no marketable skills. If they can't live in their
parent's house they are homeless. The real problem is that young
people are ascared of work, they are ascared of persperation, they are
ascared of dirty hands, they are deathly ascared of calluses.
Everthing is made in China because American youth refuses to learn the
skilled trades... they think they deserve big bucks for flipping
burgers... in my opinion no fast food burger flipper deserves more
than $4/hr... they don't like it there are robotics that can easily
prepare ALL fast food. If not for robotics a $25,000 Kia would cost
$250,000. If not for robotics very few of youse could be on line,
because yoose couldn't afford a human made $50,000 PC.