Posted to rec.food.cooking
MaryL[_2_] MaryL[_2_] is offline

Default Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> Getting ready to demolish my rental cottage, druggie *******s don't
>>> pay rent, they should all over dose and die, quickly:
>>> http://i64.tinypic.com/154zzx0.jpg

>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>
> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
> to maintain, time for it to go.

It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
problems with landlords or neighbors.

MaryL