Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default strawberries today

On 6/9/2016 1:38 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> I must be unusual, I really don't care much for strawberries. My folks
>> used to plant several acres of them when I was a kid and I had to pick
>> the blasted things. They sure sold good alongside old Highway 90, aka
>> Old Spanish Road in SE Texas. We made good money on that garden for
>> several years plus had plenty of good stuff for us.

> yes, i could make decent money off these if i wanted
> to set up a stand at the road side. i could have a lot
> more plants going too. usually i just call friends to
> come pick the extra ones we don't use. this year i'm
> not sure i'll be doing that.
>

>> I do not care for
>> stoop labor anymore.

> i'm not a big fan of it either, but it is good
> exercise and i need to drop another 15-20lbs before
> the end of the summer. at my current rate i'm
> likely to get down 5 lbs... gotta step it up a
> bit and cut a little more calories out of the diet.
>
> the good news is that the frozen smooshed
> berries for shortcakes have no extra sugar added.
> last year i had leftovers from making freezer jam
> that had some sugar in them and they were good,
> but i want to cut back on extra sugar in the diet.
>

>> I'm thinking of putting larger wheels on my
>> mechanics slider so I can lay down and work. <G>

> i use a ground pillow for close work when i need
> to kneel or weed something finicky. saves a lot of
> knee aches. i've talked Ma into making me a second
> one so i have options for reclining and watching the
> clouds, napping, etc.
>

> songbird

I've got a tractor seat on four wheels and the front wheels swivel.
Still way to high up without my pot belly getting in the way.

I may design some raised beds that can have a seat that goes around
them. That way I can reach two feet in on any side and, by going around
the bed, I can get at everything. It would probably be expensive so it
won't happen. Once you're retired you have to start watching where the
bucks go. Happily we own our house and both cars outright plus have
saved a dollar or two over the years. I just don't want to outlive my
money. My Mom came from abject poverty and I've heard all the bad
stories. Don't want any of that.

I keep telling the great grands that I might have to sell one or two of
them to the Gypsies if necessary. They still give me hugs.