Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default strawberries today

On 6/9/2016 9:50 AM, songbird wrote:
> picked a bunch yesterday, so cleaning and
> making jam or just freezing them as crushed
> berries.
>
> i'm about 1/3 of the way through getting
> them cleaned up and smooshed. they're yummy
> too.
>
> hoping to put up 16 pints of freezer jam
> and whatever is left will be frozen smooshed
> for shortcakes this winter.
>
> this year looks to be about half of what
> i had last year. we covered up a large
> patch out back and the new expanded patch
> is just starting up and the third patch may
> be a few years before it gets going in
> quantity. plus the weather/rains have not
> been much.
>

> songbird

I must be unusual, I really don't care much for strawberries. My folks
used to plant several acres of them when I was a kid and I had to pick
the blasted things. They sure sold good alongside old Highway 90, aka
Old Spanish Road in SE Texas. We made good money on that garden for
several years plus had plenty of good stuff for us. I do not care for
stoop labor anymore. I'm thinking of putting larger wheels on my
mechanics slider so I can lay down and work. <G>

George