View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Rioja, Rhone, Bojo, St Em, Anjou, Alsace, etc

With roast chicken, the 2014 Thivin Cote de Brouilly. Bright, light style with nicely tart raspberry & cranberry fruit. Straightforward, tasty and fun.. B/B+

Friday some littleneck clams , drinking/cooking wine was the 2014 Fresche Anjou (blanc). Fairly dry, light hints of Chenin wooliness, apple fruit. B

Then I went over to Rogers where our local group was to try Riojas.. Illness and family emergencies cut out group of 7 to 3. But the three of us had a good time (and enjoyed Rogers nice spread of charcuterie, cheeses, etc

2003 Lopez de Heredia €śGravonia€ť Rioja blanco
Nutty edge (almond), pears with a little coconut, citrus zest, fuller style, good length. B+/A_

2010 Baron de Ley Rioja Reserva
American oak signature- dill and a little coconut. High acid, raspberry fruit, spicy. B/B+

2010 Muga Unfiltered Rioja Reserva
(is there a Muga Reserva that is filtered?) Largest scaled, a bit glossy, big black cherry fruit, some vanilla. B-

2001 Covila €śII€ť Rioja Reserva
Fully mature, oak not as prominent, soft cherry fruit, pleasant. B/B-

Saturday was tuna steaks with the 1998 Ch. Vieux Fortin. Midbodied (on lighter side for a '98 RB), black plum and black currant, some cedar. Tannins mostly resolved, easy drinking St Emilion. B
(about half the bottle was left, tried again Sunday night, totally cracked up, went into vinegar crock. Decent wine, but not very typical for "98 RB)

Sunday night the hound joined Betsy and I hiking over the hill to some friends home for dinner.

Smoked clams and oysters, caponata
NV Evohe "X" Cava Brut Nature
This says Brut Nature, but I would have thought a fairly aggressive dosage. Sweet apple, lemon pith, a tad coarse and rather short. B-/C+

Dinner was rotisserie chicken (very good, I need to get a rotisserie attachment for my grill). sweet potato €śFries€ť, green beans, salad

2003 Pesquier Gigondas
A bit raisiny, some "03 stewiness, still some tannin. C+

1997 Montiano
Red plum, ashtray, a little volatile, rather short. Past its prime. B-/C+

2012 Boxler Sylvaner
Gingered peaches, dry but with ripe fruit, good acids, nice length, I like more than the reds. B+/A-

Tonight roasted vegetable bibimbap, but no wine/

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.