Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wedding cake in "The Little House Cookbook" by Barbara M. Walker?

> wrote in message
> And here's someone who apparently didn't have much better results (I'm
> pretty sure I DID use an electric beater, not that that would have made it
> worse)
>
> http://thehairpin.com/2014/02/winter...birthday-cake/

I could be wrong here but perhaps in those days, a cake was meant to be
eaten as a tiny portion. Therefore, you would want something very dense and
rich.

These days, weddings seem to be big events that go on for hours with a
appetizers and a big meal following. And the desserts extend to beyond
cake.

When I was growing up, the reception had a cake that was usually white and
somewhat fancy looking. But in some cases the decorations were little more
than fresh flowers. You would get a very small piece of cake. Occasionally
there would also be ice cream. And it was standard to put out salted nuts
and some kind of mints. Often it was Cocktail peanuts and butter mints.
They were put out in such small quantities that if you did take them, it was
no more than a teaspoon (Ooh...I spelled it out!) each. And you could have
a small cup of punch, coffee or tea. The reception lasted perhaps an hour
if that and you'd leave.

I am thinking in the days prior to that, weddings would be even less lavish,
particularly on the prairie. But I could be wrong.