Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wedding cake in "The Little House Cookbook" by Barbara M. Walker?

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 5:08:58 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-05-14 4:47 PM, wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to make it, with good results?
> >
> > Here's what I said about it, in 2013:
> >
> > Maybe I just didn't have good luck the only time I tried it, years
> > ago, but I just don't understand the idea of trying to combine 10
> > stiffly beaten egg whites with a whole cup of butter! (It was a
> > pretty heavy cake and unappealing - not like pound cake.)

> The idea of combining stiffly beaten egg whites with butter seems more
> than just a little strange to me. I am more used to the idea of creaming
> butter and sugar and then adding eggs. Whites are usually folded into
> the batter near the end of the process.
>
> I have enough difficulty with the concept of a wedding cake being
> something other than a dark fruitcake. My mother made the wedding cakes
> when my brothers and I got married, and they were basically the same as
> her Christmas fruitcakes, except that the had them professionally
> decorated.

All my life wedding cake has been white cake. No bride's cake. No
groom's cake. Just a big white cake frosted with white buttercream
(or similar white frosting).

I broke with tradition and had carrot cake at my first wedding
and no cake at all at my second wedding.

Cindy Hamilton