Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Nielsen[_4_] Michael Nielsen[_4_] is offline

Default 2001 La Rioja Alta "Viņa Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viņa Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja *****+

OMG. that says it all.

ok, ok , Ill say a bit more. So Im on a business trip to Mallorca. And After the official business, Im trecking with these Italians, and we start talking about wine. They are absolutely appauled by the fact I speak so highly of rioja wine. They know the cheap crap rioja in their country that it is impossible that I know anything about wine and can like rioja. then we switch topic to itlaian wine where I mention I like pian delle vigne brunello 2000.

that makes them pause. and go; so, you taste all these wonderful wines, and still you say rioja is one of your favourites?? how is this even possible??? [with italian accent, which sort of enhances the exclamation]

So, one of the italian has found "the best place in palma to have paella". We agree to go there and I choose the wine.

Im sceptical about this port facing tripadvisor place, I cant find a wine list, but I see that have Jamon Iberico, which is on my todo list. and they have lamb cutlets which would go wonderfully with a rioja, if they have it! Meanwhile I look for winebars and find 2 potential places were to have good wines afterwards.

We agree. and meet in the evening for dinner. I go straight for the wine card and talk to the waitor (that speaks the most english, which isnt a lot, so Im going Italian mode. which works a bit better. Turns out they have ardanza res. esp. 2001 and immediately I go Thats the one! we take 2! Turns out its their last 2 bottles.

the waiter opens and pours in decanter (even though the spaniard in our midst doesnt know any spanish word for decanter) and lets me taste first. One whiff and Im in heaven!

i say "this is EXACTLY what I think real wine is and what I think rioja is , when I mention rioja and think of rioja! And I did not expect to find anything like this here.

the iberico ham comes in as well. the italian wine enthusiasnt tries it and goes " wow, what the **** , this is REALLY REALLY good. this night is turning out to be really something alreadY". i managed to convert a sceptic.
He kept talking about how amazing that wine was during the entire evening.

it had that transcended broken down fruit with wood and tobacco, that fills me with joy and gives me goosebumps, brick colour, lingering finish.
the label described that they made this version in only three vintages. 1964 (not certain of that vintage), 1973, and 2001, where the weather was in a certain way.