Wayne Boatwright

Default What are the causes of cracking on the top of a fruit cake ?

(paula) wrote in news:2c01afc5.0310191246.21ca2714
@posting.google.com:

> cakes wrapped in greaseproof paper stay moist but at the same time can
> still breath. Using cling film can make them sweat.i know some people
> use it regardless of what the experts say and their cakes are not
> spoiled .

Thank you... I can see that reasoning with most other types of cakes and
bakery. However, in my case, sealing in all possible moisture is
desirable, since I infuse them heavily with brandy and/or rum. The
consistency of my fruitcakes is more like that of a very moist plum or
Christmas pudding, actually more of a confection than a cake.

Wayne