Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Sancerre, Graves blanc, and Etna (maybe)

No wine Monday (Betsy's quartet was doing couple pieces in a new music festival at Symphony Space, just ate a wrap before jumping on train to see), so good excuse to open 2 Tuesday.

The cooking wine was the 2013 Ch. Gales (Graves) blanc. Pretty standard for cheap white Bordeaux- grapefruit with a little gooseberry, hint of pepper, decent acids, a bit thin. Seems more SB than Semillon (as expected). B-/C+

Dinner was mussels in white wine, roasted zucchini, and herbed tomatoes. Dinner wine was the 2014 Girard "La Garenne" Sancerre. This is quite nice, lemon and grapefruit, rosemary, flint. Good acids, mid to full bodied, pretty classic Sancerre. B+

Wednesday Betsy made pork cutlets, roasted cauliflower, and a quinoa pilaf. Wine was the 2012 Passopisciaro. I thought this was Etna but its is labeled IGT Terre Siciliane. In any case it's awful good! Black cherries, lots of herbs and flowers. Bright acids, juicy, long. A smoky/flinty note on finish. Some tannin but quite gulpable. B+/A-