Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky[_2_] Sky[_2_] is offline

Default Are full-fat dairy foods better for you after all?

On 4/8/2016 5:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 8:25:31 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:33:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Major snippage.
>>>
>>> I take the middle road. 2% milk, low-fat yogurt sometimes,
>>> full-fat yogurt other times, and real butter when I want
>>> something buttery, but all in moderation. I've reduced
>>> my intake of carbs, but I can't really say I'm even
>>> "low carb", just "not stupid carbs".
>>>
>>> We'll see how that plays out over time.
>>>
>>> Of course, people want there to be one cause for things,
>>> and a magic bullet to fix problems. The real world
>>> just isn't so accommodating.

>> I used to do 2% too, but I don't consume much milk or cream so I
>> switched to full fat milk and heavy cream because they are all purpose
>> for me. The cream goes in my coffee and takes the place of a flour
>> slurry in gravy, milk is always used up before it goes bad if I stick
>> to a quart. Don't ask me how, the specifics range from cereal to
>> quiche.

> Everybody's different. I do about a gallon and a half of milk
> every week (including putting it in coffee), but I never make gravy
> or quiche. We've just no use for cream (light or heavy) in this
> house anymore. I'm habituated to the taste of 2%; whole milk seems
> "too much" nowadays.

It's good to know other folks like to drink lots of milk and (heavy)
cream, too! I drink a LOT of milk :-> Price for 2%-milk when
recently purchased was ~$1.07/gal at Ruler Food (Kroger affiliate akin
to Aldi)! Can't beat that price, and I've even seen it a bit lower than
that price! I can easily drink 2-plus gallons of milk a week!

When I make my home-made morning 'mocha', it's a combination of 2%-milk
with a hefty dose of heavy whipping cream included, along with a wee bit
of sugar. The mixture gets nuked in the mug, then cocoa powder and
instant coffee are added to the hot dairy mixture. Hey, this is a lot
less expensive than buying any 'starbucks' (etc.) whatever <G>! Works
for me - and that's what ultimately counts. Oh, oh - a quart of heavy
whipping cream at Ruler is only ~$3.59 vs. nearly ~$7/quart at other
local grocery stores - yikes!

Sky

Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!