Posted to alt.food.sushi
Wilson[_6_] Wilson[_6_] is offline

Default a different kind of uni?

wrote:

>>> Not sure that's true.. We still have uni around Boston.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan

>> Dan, you've been here a long time. Do you mean uni or the whole sea
>> urchins? Do they sell live sea urchins in the Boston fish markets like
>> they used to do in the Italian fish markets in NYC? I love fresh uni but
>> it is hard to find out here in the desert. There is an uni specialty
>> restaurant in southern Cal, I forgot exactly where. I'll have to try it
>> the next time I'm out that way.

> I haven't been to any of the fish markets lately.. its been a long time.
> I recall having live sea urchin about 5 years ago at a restaurant, but
> most sushi places don't serve it that way.
>
> Depending on the season, uni comes from Maine.. so getting live uni could be
> as easy as visiting some markets in Maine. Never thought of doing that..

The season for urchins here in Maine has just wrapped up. I'm a fool for not
getting them more often, but when you do, don't discard the males. I think
they taste just as good as the females, just not aesthetically appetizing.
But I think a like pasta Alfredo would be excellent with them.

Been very quiet in here, Dan & Ken. Good to see some old friends still around

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3