Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Gordon Henderson Gordon Henderson is offline

Default Sourdough with an automatic bread maker?

In article >,
Donald > wrote:
>Since there has been some posts here from real sourdough enthusiasts,
>I thought I'd try posting this question.
>
>Has anyone here found a way to use an automatic breadmaker to make
>sourdough bread?
>
>I see them at thrift stores for less than $10 on almost every visit,
>and some are complete with instructions and even unused!
>
>The problem I see is the rise time of sourdough being way longer than
>what can be set in a bread maker. I;m not sure how to get around that
>limitation so I've always made my sourdough bread using my stand mixer
>for the basic mixing and hand kneading for working the dough between
>rises, then the oven for the final part of it.

A conventional ABM won't be enough for you - however it might be good
for the initial mixing and kneading phase, then remove for a longer
ferment, etc.

However, Panasonic recently released a new one that does have a sourdough program.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...sd-zb2512.html

I've no idea how good/bad/indifferent it is though, but it's a start.

Gordon