Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Shadow[_3_] Shadow[_3_] is offline

Default Sourdough with an automatic bread maker?

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 18:27:58 -0500, Donald
> wrote:

>Since there has been some posts here from real sourdough enthusiasts,
>I thought I'd try posting this question.
>
>Has anyone here found a way to use an automatic breadmaker to make
>sourdough bread?
>
>I see them at thrift stores for less than $10 on almost every visit,
>and some are complete with instructions and even unused!
>
>The problem I see is the rise time of sourdough being way longer than
>what can be set in a bread maker. I;m not sure how to get around that
>limitation so I've always made my sourdough bread using my stand mixer
>for the basic mixing and hand kneading for working the dough between
>rises, then the oven for the final part of it.
>
>If there isn't enough activity here I can try the Fresh Loaf site and
>the Facebook group someone mentioned here (I joined it).

Facekook ? You must be crazy. Only kooks use Facekook.
My mother pauses her bread maker, then un-pauses it when the
sourdough rises, but I can't remember what brand she uses. All I know
it that it's very old and was expensive.
I prefer hand kneading, and I never allow the dough to rise
twice, because it loses some of it's "spring". Probably due to the
Lactobacilli eating up the gluten.
I mix, knead well, let stand an hour, shape, slash, let rise
(up to 10 hours, depends on temp) and bake.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012