Peter Aitken

Default Brussel[s] sprouts

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> dogsnus wrote:
>
> > I just tried this way of cooking them last night for the first
> > time and I really liked the way they turned out.

> I eat lots of Brussels sprouts, and I've discovered I like them
> best raw [gasp!]. At the store I pick out the smallest ones,
> and when I get home I cut a slice off the base of each one
> and peel off the outer leaves. I probably discard about
> one-third to one-half (by weight) of the sprouts.

I think that Julia's was is still the best. Trim and cut a small cross in
the stem for even cooking. Blanch for 5-6 minutes in boiling salted water.
Put in a covered baking dish in 1-2 layers with lots of butter, some S&P,
and bake at 350 until just tender - 15-25 minutes depending on the sprouts.
Be *sure* not to overcook them - mushy sprouts are the pits.

--
Peter Aitken