Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 1986 Bordeaux (plus Champagne and 2 white Burgs)

Our Bordeaux group met at Uncle Jack's in midtown for a look at 1986 Bordeaux

A few starters:

NV (2009 disgorgement) Agrapart "Mineral" Brut
Fresh, elegant, dry peach and apple, fine mousse, B+/A-

1999 Niellon "Les Chenevotte" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
Niellon is one of my fave producers, but don't think I've ever tried this vineyard before. This is definitely showing a bit of oxidation, but not full blown premox, and I think pretty good though in "drink now" territory. Apple, pineapple, and a bit of herb, think I liked more than others. B/B+

2007 Moreau "Les Clos" Chablis
Bigger, fuller style of Chablis, a little lactic note, but strong mineral finish. B

My starter was a too cold tuna tartare, my "fred Flintstone" steak was a nice hunk of meat, though closer to medium than medium rate.

The Sociando-Mallet and Duhart Milon were both quite corked. We bagged the rest of the wines and served blind.

Wine #1
Well, damn, this is corked too. NR

Wine #2
Funky, earthy, tannic and a bit clipped/ B/B-

Wine #3
I person thought this corked, I didn't., but it was a bit hard and charmless. Not off to a good start! B-

Wine #4
Hey, finally, this gives some real pleasure. Full, ripe, round with a pleasant leafy note and a good finish. B+/A-

Wine #5
Big, herby, a bit austere, maybe just needs time. B

Wine #6
Berry fruit, leather, cigarbox, good ripeness. B+/A-

Wine #7
(very cold at first) plush fruits, herbal notes, good length,. B+/A-

Wine #8
Funky, redder fruits, leather, B+/A-

Wine #9
A bit of funk, cedar, quiet but clean cassis fruit. B+

Wine #10
Cassis, menthol, mushroom, nice length. A-/B+

Wine #11
Big fruit, tobacco, earth, funk. B+/A-

Wine #12
Cigarbox, earth, redder fruits, a bit tight. B+/B

We did our 3/2/1 voting (I voted 10 first, then 11 then 7, but that was pretty much a coin flip, 4, 6, & 8 were about same). I was very surprised at reveal.

#1 Pichon Lalande 0 votes
#2 Cos d'Estournel 0 votes
#3 Leoville Poyferre, 0 votes
#4 Talbot 3 votes