Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Evaporated milk vs. regular?

lenona321 wrote:

>I thought I'd make an onion pie. The recipe calls
>for 1/3 can of evaporated milk. Aside from the
>nuisance of finding something else to do with the
>leftover part, I wondered - what IS the benefit
>of using that instead of regular milk? (I always use
>skim for most things, but if a recipe calls for whole
>milk, I can always add some powdered milk.)

There are many uses for evap, for all the years I drank coffee with
milk I used evap. I like evap drizzled over cooked chocolate pudding,
and when drizzled over vanilla ice cream evap forms a delicious crust.
Evap is also excellent for baking, adds a special richness that's not
possible with regular milk especially for chocolate cakes. Nowadays
there's skim evap, I think even fat free. During WWll fresh milk was
scarce, and most still used an ice-a-box, so many people used evap...
was also used for feeding babies, naturally wasn't nearly as good as
the real deal on tap.