Static I

> (Ryan)
>Date: 8/18/2004 11:06 AM Central Standard Time
>

>Hi,
>
>This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
>answer elsewhere.
>
>I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
>cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
>available.
>
>From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
>with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
>
>Am I correct with that assumption?
>
>Thanks!

This is a cake popular in the Southeast. Originally te same as but now a close
relation to Devil's Food Cake. Both originally used a teaspoon or two of cocoa
and were colored red for the Devil. It was meant to be a rich cake (as opposed
to Angel Cake) and in some recipes this is done by using beat puree. Being
Southern cakes, there are some recipes that call for buttermilk.