Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Tried and True:: That "Wise" 25 Year Survival Food

On 11/19/2015 7:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:10:09 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Per the directions, added 1 cup boiling water to the packet in a soup
>> bowl. (Oddly, the advertisements show them pouring water directly into
>> the packet. How silly is that?)

> That's how many of the packages work. They have a ziplock closure
> built into the bag that keeps the heat/steam in. No ziplock on yours?

Nope, no ziplock. Maybe some of the other packets have ziplocks. <shrug>

The question becomes "why?" I suppose whatever disaster cuts off our
food supply might also destroy all the cookware and bowls... heh.

>> I followed the directions. I took pictures of the resulting sludge:
>>
>> http://i65.tinypic.com/290txyc.jpg

> It looks like there's some tiny squiggly noodle like things in there.
> Roundworms, maybe?
>
> Not sure how pasta can be the first ingredient yet it isn't really
> visible. But when you see TVP in the ingredient list, you know this
> brand is the bottom the barrel shit.

It's also very expensive!

> I'll say again, my Mountain House brand entrees were surprisingly
> good. Lots of freeze dried chicken (not TVP!) and decent pasta that
> rehydrated surprisingly well.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
>> All I can tell you is this is some pretty crappy food. I sure as heck
>> wouldn't want to stock enough of this Wise deydrated food for a week
>> much less 25 years. YMMV.

> Be sure to send them your comments. Really **** them off and tell
> them the Mountain House brand was much better.
>
> -sw

Your Mountain House brand definitely *looks* better! Looks like a
decent serving size, too, unless you doubled up.

Due to so many alleged food allergies and sensitivities, a large number
of people wouldn't be able to eat this "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini":

Contains: Milk, Soy, Wheat. Processed on equipment that also processes
milk, soy, wheat, egg, shellfish, fish, tree nuts and peanuts.

Ah, but according to the little catalog they sent along with the sample,
they do make gluten-free versions of some things. Whew! They had me
worried for a minute!

Jill