Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Tried and True:: That "Wise" 25 Year Survival Food

On 11/19/2015 11:10 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 19:10:09 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> My free sample of Wise Foods (the survivalist or emergency folks)
>> finally arrived. Just over a month after I requested it. I prepared the
>> sample "entree" per the package directions tonight. Uh oh.
>>
>> It's supposed to be "Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini". Surely they
>> know rotini is pasta? Dehydrated vegetables include carrots, zucchini
>> and peas. In a "creamy chicken flavored sauce". Oooh, sounds
>> absolutely yummy! (I hope everyone realizes I'm being sarcastic.)
>>
>> Per the directions, added 1 cup boiling water to the packet in a soup
>> bowl. (Oddly, the advertisements show them pouring water directly into
>> the packet. How silly is that?) Cover and let stand 12-15 minutes,
>> stirring occasionally. Uncover and let cool 2-3 minutes.
>>
>> I followed the directions. I took pictures of the resulting sludge:
>>
>> http://i65.tinypic.com/290txyc.jpg
>>
>> That was after I let it sit/steep per the package directions, and
>> stirred it more than a couple of times. Looks more like soup than pasta
>> with any sort of sauce., doesn't it? Not very attractive.
>>
>> Then there's this picture of just the preparation directions:
>>
>> http://i65.tinypic.com/1j2vm.jpg
>>
>> All I can tell you is this is some pretty crappy food. I sure as heck
>> wouldn't want to stock enough of this Wise deydrated food for a week
>> much less 25 years. YMMV.
>>
>> Jill

> I've only seen or eaten freeze-dried camping food (years ago). None
> of it looked like that. The only thing I didn't care for at that time
> was the slight chewiness of the vegetables. Otherwise all the food
> looked pretty much as it was supposed to.
> I'd put that stuff in an envelope and send it back
> Janet US

It was a free sample so no, I won't be sending it back. I always did
question the "lasts for 25 years thing". I can see why - no one would
want to eat this stuff, not today or in 25 years. Also, that was a
single serving "entree". Approximately 1 cup of food. I guess in case
of disaster no one actually needs to eat food for energy. Heh.

Jill