Vox Humana

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article <ptrVc.164473$gE.121071@pd7tw3no>,
> "graham" > wrote:
>
> > ...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring!

Bleughhh!
> > Graham

> Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into three
> 8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
> coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.
>
> If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that call
> for *two* ounces of food coloring.

You have to assume that the recipe calls for liquid food coloring that is
commonly available at supermarkets. Home bakers don't generally measure
ingredients by weight, and since none of the recipes I saw specified any of
the other ingredients by weight, the ounces have to be liquid ounces. Red
food coloring is bitter. I see noting that it adds to the cake except
color. Therefore, you are adding two tablespoons or more of a bitter
substance so when you cut the cake someone remarks "Look Virginia, that cake
is really red!" The term "red velvet" seems to be appealing to people. I
will concede that the cake is red, but the "velvet" part is pure marketing -
sort of like referring to cigarette smoke as "smooth." If you like the
flavor of the cake with the food coloring, I would recommend that you just
substitute two tablespoons of water or milk. I has to be an improvment.