Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super cheap food

> wrote in message
I just moved in with my bf thousands of miles away from my mothers house.
When I looked in his fridge I almost had a heart attack. All that was in it
were basic condiments, and two cartons of expired almond milk! His freezer
had two big bags of Birdseye(ugh) Thai stir fry, and some hamburger meat
(only like chicken, bacon, and occasionally ground beef in tacos). D:

That's it! No cheese, fresh veggies, eggs, or bacon. The only spice he has
is salt!!!!! I always had a fridge full of food, and cabinet of basic
spices. Even then I would sometimes feel like I had "nothing to eat". Man
how ungrateful I was.

Money is really tight. I'm unemployed, plus he just bought my ticket to
arrive. He had to fix his car and is a few hundred dollars

---

Here are some more ideas.

Tuna melts. Get some English Muffins. Split them and put them on a cookie
sheet. Then add a good sized scoop of tuna salad. To make the tuna salad,
start with tuna from a can or pouch. Drain off the excess liquid. Then add
some mayo, Miracle Whip, cottage cheese or even plain yogurt. Whatever you
have in the house. If you don't have any of these things, you can make it
without. It's just that they help to bind it so it will be a little messy
to eat without. Then add a small amount of chopped onion, chopped celery,
chopped sweet pickle. These things aren't really necessary either but will
add flavor. If you have a tomato in the house, you can add a slice of
tomato under the tuna. But again, not necessary. Then top with whatever
cheese you have. Either a slice or a little grated. Put the pan in the
oven at 350 degrees until heated through and cheese is melted. Maybe 10
minutes. You can also make this with chicken instead of the tuna. I like a
bit of chopped apple mixed in.

You can also use the English Muffins to make pizza. Put them on a cookie
sheet as above. Then top with sauce. I just use canned tomato sauce with a
little added Italian seasoning. Then add cheese. Mozzarella would be
traditional but you can use any kind that you have. Then whatever other
pizza type toppings you like. Bake as above.

If you don't have English Muffins, you can use plain bread for either of
these things. It just won't get as crisp or be as firm as the English
muffin will.