Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Super cheap food

> wrote in message
I just moved in with my bf thousands of miles away from my mothers house.
When I looked in his fridge I almost had a heart attack. All that was in it
were basic condiments, and two cartons of expired almond milk! His freezer
had two big bags of Birdseye(ugh) Thai stir fry, and some hamburger meat
(only like chicken, bacon, and occasionally ground beef in tacos). D:

That's it! No cheese, fresh veggies, eggs, or bacon. The only spice he has
is salt!!!!! I always had a fridge full of food, and cabinet of basic
spices. Even then I would sometimes feel like I had "nothing to eat". Man
how ungrateful I was.

Money is really tight. I'm unemployed, plus he just bought my ticket to
arrive. He had to fix his car and is a few hundred dollars

---

That's more than my husband had. He either had nothing at all or some
leftover pizza. He didn't even have much in the cabinets. There was one
cheap pot with no lid, a bent fork, butter knife, spoon, cereal bowl and a
plate. Also some ashtrays. Maybe a coffee cup. His mom bought these
things.

The cheapest foods do not involve meat. Use beans for your protein. If you
can buy in bulk, they may be cheaper. But you might want to factor in the
cost of cooking them so you might be better off getting canned. If you're
not brand loyal, store brands are often cheaper. If you have a Big Lots
nearby, you might find deals there. Canned tomato sauce is cheap and you
can usually find some sort of Italian seasonging blend for about $1 at the
drugstore. Make your own sauce and serve over pasta. Ramen is also cheap
and you can doctor it up a bit by adding cooked egg, a few vegetables, and a
small amount of meat. Bananas are about the cheapest food that there is.
But carrots, apples, onions and potatoes are usually cheap too. The type of
produce you can get for cheap depends on where you live though.

Other cheap proteins are nuts, cheese and eggs although the price of those
things seems to be increasing. However, you don't need to eat protein with
every meal and do look at the other foods you are eating. For instance,
wheat does contain a little protein. Rice can be cheap. If you have any
Asian stores or a good Asian section in your grocery store you can likely
get it cheaper there. Oatmeal is also cheap. And popcorn. Pop your own in
a pan with a little oil.