Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default Baked goods: Calculating your cost

About eggs: One can substitute 1 heaping Tb. soy flour and 1 Tb. water for one or two eggs in baking. E.g., if you know of a muffin recipe that tends to have a crumbly result, using soy flour instead will likely make it more stable. I've used it in pancakes and bread and it was fine. (Do NOT use in cookies - or souffles or angel food cakes, of course! I suspect it wouldn't work with brownies either.)

More info:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...oy+flour+water

Also:

"Shelf Life (for soy flour): 5 to 7 months if properly stored, tightly
wrapped or tightly sealed plastic or glass containers. The refrigerator or
freezer are the best locations for storage."

In volume 1 of "The Tightwad Gazette," there was a chart about comparing
egg prices. Hint: In order for jumbo eggs to be a better deal than large
eggs, the jumbo eggs should not be more than about 35 cents higher than
the price of the large eggs. YMMV.

And four jumbo eggs are equal to five large eggs.

Here's a thread I started on that in 2009:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/qmq6jjezv78

The following is also from a 1992 issue of the "Tightwad Gazette" - Amy was comparing the costs of different breakfasts. I left out the outdated prices, but the ranking probably hasn't changed much. I'm guessing the toast is not from homemade bread, offhand, since she used to buy half-price-off bread; the cold cereals are almost certainly bought with coupons.

From cheapest to most expensive:

2 oz. uncooked cornmeal
2 oz. bulk uncooked oatmeal
2 4-inch scratch pancakes