Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Study reveals cheese is as addictive as drugs,Cheese is as addictive as drugs

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydis...022-story.html
>
> Cheese really is crack. Study reveals cheese is as addictive as drugs
> Cheese is as addictive as drugs
>
> According to a new study, cheese is as addictive as certain drugs. (Eric
> Boyd / Los Angeles Times)
> Jenn HarrisJenn HarrisContact Reporter
>
> For years you've been telling your friends, family, co-workers and anyone
> who will listen that you're addicted to cheese. It's a part of every meal
> or snack, and you think about it constantly. According to a new study from
> the University of Michigan, cheese crack is a real thing. And so is your
> addiction.
>
> The study, published in the U.S. National Library of Medicine, examines
> why certain foods are more addictive than others. Researchers identified
> addictive foods from about 500 students who completed the Yale Food
> Addiction Scale, designed to measure if someone has a food addiction.
>
> Pizza, unsurprisingly, came out on top of the most addictive food list.
> Besides being a basic food group for kids, college students and adults,
> there's a scientific reason we all love pizza, and it has to do with the
> cheese.
>
> The study found certain foods are addictive because of the way they are
> processed. The more processed and fatty the food, the more it was
> associated with addictive eating behaviors.
>
> Cheese happens to be especially addictive because of an ingredient called
> casein, a protein found in all milk products. During digestion, casein
> releases opiates called casomorphins.
> See the most-read stories in Life & Style this hour >>
>
> "[Casomorphins] really play with the dopamine receptors and trigger that
> addictive element," registered dietitian Cameron Wells told Mic.
>
> So there you have it. Your cheese addiction has been validated by science.
> This may be better than that time science said your addiction to Oreos is
> real. Just maybe.

I believe it. That used to be me. I quit eating it when I realized that it
was making me sick. Then when I tested as no longer intolerant, the Dr.
warned me not to try eating it again because of the severe reaction I was
having to it. And I didn't eat it for a very long time.

Then there was the day at Costco. I had purchased two big bags of different
kinds of individual cheese pieces. When we walked outside, it was raining
unusually hard for this area. So we sat at a picnic table and waited. I
became hungry. I ate the cheese! No problems at first. And then within a
few weeks, the problems began again. But I was in denial. Surely cheese
couldn't be the cause of my upset stomach! But then I got tested again, and
it was. I have never had any since.