Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On 2015-09-20 21:00:39 +0000, John Kuthe said:

>>> Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>>> number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>>> places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>>> are appreciated.

>> Closed groups are no inaccessible. You ask for permission to join.

Good to know, thanks.

> Yep, and many times you will be granted access. Unless it's what
> Facebook calls a "Private" group which is onl;y visible/accessable by
> invitation, ostensibly. I'm that Facebook literate from an admin
> perspective.

I find FaceBook's interface problematic for too many reasons, but if
you're literate perhaps you can answer this: If I subscribe to RFC,
which I have, but also have 2 dozen "friends" that post 10 times a day,
is there anyway to do filtering without unfollowing/unfriending and
such?

That is, I'd like to review NO rfc posts, and only my friends blabber.
Following this I'd like to see none of their blabber and all of the rfc
posts. I ran into this before with a jazz musicians group that had
such high volume that I had to unfollow it altogether to avoid the
deluge. Seemingly there is no middle ground.

Elsewhere you said:

> Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
> of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
> "llook at me and how cool I and my life are."

I've been needing that work. This is the entirety of (what I perceive)
twitter to be.

> Lotta what I call hit and run posts.

Sometimes minus the "run". Repetitive stand-alone "look-a-me" posts.
I've started calling this barking, because seemingly no response will
encourage a give-and-take engagement.

> Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few Facebook Groups.

In a previous attempt to search for cooking groups I got these "closed
groups "and nothing like RFC. Now I get RFC and all the "closed
groups" I saw seem to have vanished. Clearly it takes practice to
learn best out to waste one's time.