Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_2_] John Kuthe[_2_] is offline

Default Where Have RFC'ers Gone To On Social Media?

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:17:16 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-09-20 18:43:19 +0000, Sqwertz said:

>>> I have not yet found anything of value in FaceBook. I don't doubt that
>>> there are brief twitter-like exchanges there, and lots of them. But I
>>> have not yet found substantive discussion of anything, cooking included.

>> You must not be looking in the right places.

>Perhaps not. I've searched for "cooking groups" and such and find a
>number that are closed groups; perhaps some of these are the "right
>places" but inaccessible. Any clues as to how such groups can be found
>are appreciated.
>
>But I've spent almost a month really trying to study facebook and set
>up a presence there. From what I've seen, "discussions" on most any
>topic seem to be single paragraph exchanges, with around 5 iterations
>making for a "long exchange", and most falling short of that. Very
>cursory. Not what I'd call a discussion per se.
>
>That said, I've only been subscribed to a couple of groups, now
>unsubscribed. My initial assessment is that it's a not particularly
>expansive user interface. Kinda like twitter with significant elbow
>room, most of which is unused.

Mosly what peolle do is what I heard termed as "peacocking", from one
of the founders of Flickr. Basically just posting something that says
"llook at me and how cool I and my life are." Lotta what I call hit
and run posts. Not as many good discussions but Ive had a few in a few
Facebook Groups.

John Kuthe...