Tracey

"katie" > wrote in message
. rogers.com...

> "Tracey" > wrote in message
> >
> > "katie" > wrote in message
> > .rogers.com...
> > > tried a new recipe today...errr...that is, i didn't really follow it,

> but
> > > got about the same result. it was in some allergy cookbook, so i got

> the
> > > gist of it from there, and did the rest by improv. steamed & mashed

> some
> > > potatoes, added flour, some earth balance, and some steam-fried green

> > onion,
> > > bit o' pepper & salt, mixed it all really well until it turned into a

> > dough,
> > > then made little patties and fried them up in a bit of earth balance.

> the
> > > result was really delicious - not at all healthy, but definitely the

> kind
> > of
> > > thing i can cook for my grease-lovin' family. might be good with some
> > > garlic added to the onion while steam-frying. ps, the recipe used

olive
> > oil
> > > instead of e.b., and chives instead of onions. and those were called
> > > scones, although what i ended up with reminded me of these potato

> pancakes
> > > had when i was younger. mmm...they'd be good with a dab of sour

supreme
> > on
> > > them, but i found that fresh out of the pan, they had a very nice

> delicate
> > > flavour all by themselves.

> > They do sound yummy, will try them myself. Bet they would be nice with
> > mashed up sweet potato too. What is earth balance, some sort of cooking
> > oil?
> >
> > Tracey
> >

> sweet potato; good idea! yeah, and they were really super easy to make.
> and earth balance is a vegan, non-hydrogenated, non-gmo margerine. it's

the
> only one i've found that tastes the way i remember butter tasting, and

bakes
> like a dream (cause it's solid when it's cold, and softens if you leave it
> out, the same as butter, so it really works well for baking).

Ah, so that's what it is - sounds good. I've never tried any vegan
margarines - I'm not actually vegan but vegetarian, but do cook a lot of
vegan meals. I've tried soya milk which I don't like at all, but the soya
yoghurts and desserts I've tried I actually prefer to the dairy ones. I'd
like to try the dairy-free cheese to see what that's like. Maybe vegan
cheese would be good in your potato scone recipe?

Tracey