Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:52:40 -0400, Bolivar > wrote:

>tgodiver wrote:
>>
>> Can I hook my turkey fryer straight to natural gas instead of using it from
>> the propane tank?

>No!
>
>Propane gas is heavier than natural gas, and therefore requires more
>pressure.
>And they also require different orifices to achieve the same BTU point.
>You will have to adjust/change the pressure regulator.
>You will have to change the orifices, depending on what the BTU rating
>of your burner is.
>
>Since you are trying to go from propane (heavier - higer regulator
>pressure) to natural, if you do not adjust/change the reuglator, you
>will create a dangerous oversupply of gas .
>
>You will need to ascertain the BTU rating of your burner from the
>literature, or the manufacturer, and then change orifices to the
>appropriate size. The manufacturer should be able to supply the size
>information (and maybe the actual orifices), or a commercial (restaurant
>kitchen) supply/service company should have a chart for the orifice size
>needed for either gas at any BTU rating. And they will probably have
>them.
>
>Boli

Not quite, Boli
All that needs to be done is to get the gas guys to drill out the
venturii orifice to the correct size or better yet buy a replacement -
the part is cheap and if you want to revert back to LPG, all that will
need to is to swap venturii.

Nat Gas does not require the use of a regulator. It's correctly
pressurized when it comes off the line.

Harry