Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Butterflied short ribs, Korean style

Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/7/2015 11:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them
> > > out into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.
> > >
> > > I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling
> > > on the grille.
> > >
> > > Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will
> > > marry nicely with the sesame flavor.
> > >
> > > Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.
> > >

> > > http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...-butterflied-s
> > > esam e-grilled-beef-short-ribs
> > >
> > > The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one
> > > of the distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says
> > > expert Steven Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad
> > > and other Korean accompaniments purchased at an Asian market.
> > > This recipe is adapted from Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue
> > > (Workman Publishing 2010).
> > >
> > > Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
> > > Michele Kayal for NPR
> > > Makes 4 servings
> > >
> > > 1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar
> > >
> > > 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled
> > > and skewered on toothpicks
> > >
> > > 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
> > >
> > > 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
> > >
> > > 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> > >
> > > 2 teaspoons coarse salt
> > >
> > > 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
> > >
> > > 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
> > >
> > > 2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths
> > >
> > > 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed
> > >
> > > 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual
> > > leaves
> > >
> > > Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

> > > To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste.
> > > Place beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

> > Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?
> >

> A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the Koreans
> like to as well.
>
> Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean though,
> and it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool lettuce.
>
> These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
> sushi style is my choice.

Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but we
generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
applied.

Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
table brasier is excellent!

Carol