Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ryan" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > > answer elsewhere.
> > >
> > > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > > available.
> > >
> > > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> > >
> > > Am I correct with that assumption?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > I thought the reddish color of a cake was provided by the use of

different
> > cocoas along with portions in varying amounts of soda. Of course, the

> easy
> > way would be to add food coloring, would it not? Didn't Roy Basan

address
> > this at one time?

> You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake debate.
> It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a chocolate

cake
> by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old southern
> recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to

several
> recipes.

As I didn't see the link you posted, I googled and here is what I came up
with in "ABOUT"
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm
that you might find interesting:
"
Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as Southern
as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time in the
1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria granted a diner's
request for the recipe, then a short time later sent her a bill in the
amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently with revenge in mind, then began
circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend with the
same storyline is the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie, also known as the
Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe."

Dee