Nexis

"Peter Werner" > wrote in message
m...
> I have a surplus of apples and want to make several apple crisps -
> baked sweetened apples with a crumb topping made with butter, sugar,
> flour, and oatmeal. Something along these lines:
>
> http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/AppleCrispIV.asp
>
> albeit with a little bit of tapioca added so that the juice exuded by
> the apples thickens.
>
> The question I have concerns freezing them - I want to freeze several
> of the crisps for later enjoyment. Is there any problem with baking
> them, freezing them after they've cooled, then using a microwave to
> thaw them later? Should I freeze them partially baked or unbaked and
> bake them when I'm ready to unfreeze them?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can provide.
>
> Peter

If you freeze them baked, then microwave them they may have decent flavor,
but the crisp portion will be soggy goo. It's better to prepare them, just
as if you were going to bake them, then freeze. When you're ready to enjoy,
just take it directly from freezer to oven (don't thaw first) and increase
your baking time accordingly. Check on it when it's been about time and 1/2
as usual, and go from there. After the first time you'll know just how long
to bake it.
Here's my two favorite crisp recipes for your consideration ;-)

For A Crowd Apple Crisp
This is a good size recipe, baked in a 9x13x2" pan.
Ingredients
10 cups thinly sliced apples
1/4 to 1 cup white sugar (Depends greatly on variety of apple and desired
level of sweetness)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 cup water spiked with 2 tsp lemon juice
Topping:
2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp good cinnamon (I like Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon for this)
1 cup butter, melted

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
2. Place the sliced apples in a 9x13 inch pan. Combine sugar, 1 tablespoon
flour and ground cinnamon and nutmeg together, and sprinkle over
apples.Toss lightly. Pour lemon water evenly over the apples.
3. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda,
cinnamon and melted butter together. Should be crumbly, but not too dry or
too wet. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes. It's done
when the topping is a deep golden color and the apples are fork tender.
5. Serve with cinnamon ice cream, vanilla ice cream, or just whipped cream.
NOTE: A very nice addition to this is to add some slivered or chopped
almonds, about 1/2 cup, to the crisp topping before putting atop the apples.
You can also add 1/2 tsp almond extract to filling.

Julian Mountain Berry Apple Pie
I adapt this recipe to make a crisp at times, though I do like it with the
pastry crust as well. Make it in a deep dish pie pan.

2 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, sliced (Macintosh or Idared are really
good in
this recipe)
2 cups berries: blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries and strawberries in
any combo
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
Topping:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 c toasted oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup chopped almonds (may use pecans)
3/4 cup cold butter

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Toss together the apples, 2 tbsp flour, cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.
Carefully add in berries.
3. Butter your deep sided pie dish and add the filling to it.
4. Cut cold butter into remaining topping ingredients until crumbly, and
spread evenly over fruit mixture.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350 to prevent overbrowning
and continue baking 30-45 more minutes. It's done when apples are fork
tender and topping is deep golden brown.
NOTE: If desired you can make a single recipe of pastry crust and line the
pan with it prior to adding fruit.

Enjoy :-)

kimberly