Monroe, of course...

In article >, "Sean"
> wrote:

> I've gotten good results from using a small [soup] can with both ends
> removed. I place the can in the middle of the charcoal grate, put a
> firelighter in the bottom, then fill the can with briquettes (4 or 5). Light
> the firelighter and wait until it has burnt out and the briquettes are all
> ashed over and then some. Assemble the unit, with cold tap water in the pan,
> and put your meat on. Put as many small chunks of your smoking wood on top
> of the can of coals as you can and then close it all up. Close all the vents
> completely. It fills with thick thick smoke but stays a very low temp for a
> long time.

The soup can fire ring sounds like a good idea <smacks forehead> why
din't I think of that?
The secret to cold smoking on a bullet type is to keep a 3-4 briquette
sized fire (with apropriate smoke) going for hours and hours. This is
one of the most tedious things a human can do.
I've easily run my K at 140-150F due to its great airflow control. I
don't know if a WSM will shutter up that tightly.

monroe(thinking of smoked peppers)