Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett)

On 8/20/2015 10:29 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:49:26 -0700 (PDT), Randal Oulton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 14 August 2015 13:59:05 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>>>
>>> Just back from a visit to the stupor market, egad! canning jars and lids
>>> at retail are ridiculous. Probably by mid-October both will be heavily
>>> discounted. I don't need any as I have about eight dozen jars of varying
>>> sizes up to half gallon. I AM NOT A HOARDER, no matter what my wife and
>>> children say.

>> George, what are the jars going for now? In Canada, sometime in the past few weeks they *raised* the prices of jars about an average of a buck a dozen. Bernardin brand (Ball's sister brand in Canada) pint jars (with lids and rings) are 8.99 or 9.99 now depending where you get them; you can get Golden Harvest pints at Crappy Tire though for 7.99. Replacement metal (flat part) lids are basically 30 cents each. (3.60 for a box of twelve.)

> Are you talking about the standard 70mm lids?
> If so, head over to your local Dollarama. Their price has gone up
> twice in the last two years but, as of a few days ago, Bernardin
> standard 70mm lids are still only CND $1.50/doz.
> We used a box and a half yesterday on 3 batches of spiced pear jam
> (six - 250ml jars per batch).
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

Hey, Ross, long time no see. How's things in the mostly frozen north? We
got over an inch of rain yesterday and today so far and it is greatly
welcome. After getting over eighteen inches of rain back in early
spring, causing several deaths and lots of damage, we have been in a
small drought until yesterday.

Spring garden is mostly dead, have some pitiful looking eggplant,
tomatoes, and peppers still going but everything else has croaked.

I'm working on a design for a drip system to be used on the raised beds
and the fence line beds but it will be built after cooler weather gets
to us. !@#$ soaker hoses from the big box stores only last a few months
so I'm getting rid of those.

We put up about eighteen pints of green beans in early spring and have
frozen over a dozen bags of chopped sweet chiles and many bags of ready
to cook zuke and eggplant fritters so the garden wasn't a total loss
this year.

We're looking at a fall garden later this month or early September but
not sure what we want to plant now, got plenty of seeds and can get nice
fall plants close by so it won't be long. Have to amend the raised beds
every time the seasons change so that chore is coming on too.

George, NW Harris Cty, Texas