Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ross@home Ross@home is offline

Default Salt, salt, salt (not Jimmy Buffett)

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:49:26 -0700 (PDT), Randal Oulton
> wrote:

>On Friday, 14 August 2015 13:59:05 UTC-4, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> Just back from a visit to the stupor market, egad! canning jars and lids
>> at retail are ridiculous. Probably by mid-October both will be heavily
>> discounted. I don't need any as I have about eight dozen jars of varying
>> sizes up to half gallon. I AM NOT A HOARDER, no matter what my wife and
>> children say.

>George, what are the jars going for now? In Canada, sometime in the past few weeks they *raised* the prices of jars about an average of a buck a dozen. Bernardin brand (Ball's sister brand in Canada) pint jars (with lids and rings) are 8.99 or 9.99 now depending where you get them; you can get Golden Harvest pints at Crappy Tire though for 7.99. Replacement metal (flat part) lids are basically 30 cents each. (3.60 for a box of twelve.)

Are you talking about the standard 70mm lids?
If so, head over to your local Dollarama. Their price has gone up
twice in the last two years but, as of a few days ago, Bernardin
standard 70mm lids are still only CND $1.50/doz.
We used a box and a half yesterday on 3 batches of spiced pear jam
(six - 250ml jars per batch).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada