Roy Basan

Default Whiskey & Plastic

wrote:

> > >Made a big cake soaked in bourbon from a recipe I found on the web
> > called Irish Whiskey Cake. It is very good and easy because

> > >you start with cake mix & vanilla instant pudding. I would like to keep

> > >some in the freezer but I'm not sure if the whiskey (the cake is very
> > >moist) will not have a bad effect on the plastic wrap. Will someone
> > >who knows their chemistry please tell me the best way to freeze this
> > >cake? Thank you, Mari
> > >

> > Good thinking Mari.
> >
> > But why would Plasticwrap (Saran, etc.) be bad with alcohol in this
> > dilution, Mari?
> >
> > It is sold for drinking in plastic bottles and as rubbing alcohol (much
> > higher proof) too.
> >
> > I don't think it will be bad for your cake. Plastc-wrap first and
> > alu-wrap after.
> > That way it is tight.

> I beg to differ with you on one point. Rubbing alcohol is not the
> same as drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol is ethanol. Rubbing
> alcohol is isopropanol, which is quite bad for humans to ingest.
> Almost-pure ethanol is available (Ever-Clear), and can be drunk, but
> is not rubbing alcohol.

I think what Hans is implying here that whatever alcohol is bottled in
plastic bottles , its stable.
I donot think that he mean that isopropyl alcohol is used in baking.
But ethanol can also be used as rubbing alcohol but would be
expensive probably( than ispropanol) because of the excise tax on such
alcohol.
IIRC the original rubbing alcohol was made from ethyl alcohol.