Vox Humana

"Ryan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> answer elsewhere.
>
> I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> available.
>
> From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
>
> Am I correct with that assumption?

You got the essence of it. If you manipulate the pH of the batter, you can
shift the color from dark black/brown to a red/brown. Therefore, you tend
to see acid ingredients like buttermilk and vinegar in the formula in
addition to the food coloring. I think that red food coloring is very
bitter and not worth adding to a cake simply to change the color. You can
read more here and see some recipes:
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm